The Jungle

4:00:00 AM


The Jungle-Upton Sinclair

I recently finished reading this book as part of my US History class, and I am really glad it was assigned. Written in the early 1900's, The Jungle follows the lives of a Lithuanian immigrant family that moves to Chicago in order to find the American Dream. The book changed the history of the nation due to its descriptions of the meat packing facilities, extreme poverty, criminal underworld, and political corruption of the city.

Some in my class didn't like the book due to its heavy political tone, especially at the end, but political beliefs aside, this book is a success for the author. Sinclair had certain things he wanted to point out to the world about America in the 1900's and he reached this goal. Written as as emotional propaganda piece, this book would have pushed the buttons of nearly every reform group of the time.

I highly recommend it for those of you who want. It is not a feel good book, but I do feel more cultured and educated since reading it. And if you have, or when you do read it, let me know! This book would be great for a book club setting of discussion!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe