An Inspiring Weekend

8:30:00 AM

As I mentioned on Friday, I spent the weekend being taught and reminded of the the things that matter most in my life. The best part of the weekend is that I got to do it with Brett, who cares as much as I do. Being able to listen to modern prophets and apostles as they communicate the things necessary for happiness with the man I love and have the privilege of being sealed to is one of my favorite things.



This conference, like so many others, addressed things I wanted to hear, needed to hear, and loved to be reminded of. There were so many times that I got the little kick in the gut that makes you want to desire to be a better person. While there were so many that I loved, I think that Elder Uchtdorf's talk spoke to me the most this time. With all the craziness of moving to Seattle, I have been a little stressed and a little pessimistic. I catch myself thinking that if I am just going to get some crappy job just to help pay the bills that will probably require nights and weekends, then what is the point of living somewhere we have always wanted to, just to do the same thing we are doing here?

But then I sit down and think about all the blessings and opportunities this move will bring to our lives. The more I think, the longer the list gets. This internship is exactly what Brett needs to further what he wants to do for a living. We are living to a new city that gets to be our very own adventure. We will be so much closer to our hometowns that we will actually get to visit them. We are going somewhere that is not this desert! We were able to find a good deal on an apartment in a part of the country that is very expensive. We have help to move so we don't have to rent a truck. We already have a few fun hiking trips planned that we can do at short notice if needed. Neither of us will be taking classes for the first time since we got married. I can keep going, but I won't. :)

Elder Uchtdorf gave a wonderful reminder of what it means to have gratitude in your life. My favorite part was when he talked about how gratitude should not just be something show after you have been blessed in a measurable way, but a consistent state of mind that allows you to find the blessings in the first place. It was definitely something I needed to hear, and I would be surprised if I was the only one.



This was just one of so many wonderful lessons and talks given by the leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There are several ways to watch them again if you missed it. You can go through them all in order by going to lds.org (the official church website) or you can look at short summaries of the individual talks put together by Deseret News. Finally, in order to watch the delivery of any single talk you can visit the official YouTube channel and select your favorite.

I will leave you with some of my favorites before I go.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: "Grateful in any circumstances"
President Boyd K. Packer: "The Witness"
President Thomas S. Monson: "Love The essence of the gospel"
Elder Marcos A. Aidukaitis: "If ye lack wisdom"
Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge: "The Prophet Joseph Smith"
Elder David A. Bednar: "Bear up their burdens with ease"
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: "The cost — and blessings — of discipleship"


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe