Literary Junkies July Link-Up

10:44:00 PM

Pink Heels Pink Truck


What are you reading? Tell us about it!
I actually just finished reading Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. Its a historical fiction novel set in 1665 Port Royal in Jamaica. It tells the story of a government sanctioned English privateer (aka "pirate") excursion against a Spanish treasure carrier. It was an easy read that moved quickly and with all the time I spend commuting on the bus I finished in two work days!

I also finished The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton for our book club later tonight! I can't wait to talk about it!

Do you find yourself reading more of a particular genre during the heat of summer?
Not that I have noticed. I usually stay with the same types of books I like, but I am more likely to branch out into related categories since my time is not as limited. During the school year I only have time for something I know I will love, but I like taking a few risks in the summer!

Who are you favorite book villains (either to love or to hate)?
Oh this is a good one. I like the villains who are obviously a villain and it is due to a personal choice or character flaw (like how Maleficent chooses to be offended and hold a grudge). I believe strongly in agency and the ability to make choices, but to take responsibility for your choices so when a character is a villain because of circumstance it turns me off a little. For this same reason, I love it when a villain recognizes their own control of their lives and makes a change for the better (like Severus Snape, or Smeagol/Gollum). These are just a few examples off the top of my head.

If you could choose one author's writing powers to harness, who would you choose and why?
I would love to be able to be able to write a story without having to do the typical background setup at the beginning. I liked reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas because it just jumped right into the story, even if you didn't realize it, and filled in the background with his extensive knowledge as the story progressed. I do like a background if it is more conversational, like a grandpa telling a story the way that The Princess Bride is set up.

Do you read one book at a time, or read multiple books at once?
I am totally a one book kinda girl. However, I usually have a stack ready to go. I will go overhaul the library and I already know what order I will be reading them in, it is just a matter of time.

What are some of your favorite non-fiction books?
I love history books. Especially when they are applicable. I read the book The Change Election  by David Magleby for a class (talking about the different campaign tactics of the Republican and Democratic parties during the 2008 elections in battleground states) and totally was an excited nerd. I also read a book, that I can't remember the name of now, about the Haitian Revolution that I loved. The first half was just a history of what happened with notes leading you to read copies of the original documents in the back if you wanted. Super interesting, and yet also super nerdy. I take ownership of that.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Getting into the action is definitely my favorite as well! I love how The Princess Bride has kind of two stories going on, the one with the author and the one with buttercup. The asides are great.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe