Gratitude for Seattle

9:00:00 AM


I love this picture. I know I just used it in the last post, but I have a feeling it will be in the regular rotation. It's just the two of us, on the beach, enjoying a perfect weather, and loving the time we got to spend together. Living in a new area for such a short time gave us the amazing chance to capitalize on all the free time we had to explore the region. Sometimes I wanted a few friends to have over for dinner, go to a movie, and explore the area with (so its a good thing some friends came to visit us the weekend this picture was actually taken), but I really appreciate the long amounts of time we had to spend together as a couple. We were already each other's best friend, and that grew exponentially over the summer.

We spent so much time together that now we make the same joke, at the same time, very regularly. And not even a long standing one either, but just one that pops into the conversation. We are almost too used to only having each other as company. But in all honesty, I love it. We became so united, so centralized on what we want for each other, for us, for our future experiences, and for our future family that I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

We got exactly what we needed out of our summer in Seattle. Brett's internship gave him a great spot on the inside track for some potential jobs after graduation. He got to apply all the stuff he has been learning in his classes, working on projects where he was given a lot of responsibility and trust. He got to meet some important people in public finance and local government in the region and pick their brains about what to expect in the future.

I was able to find a full time job at the relatively last minute in order to have two incomes over the summer. It wasn't the most glamorous work out there (I mean, who doesn't love housekeeping?), but it was during the day, subsidized the bus pass I needed, and gave the the chance to meet some amazing people from all over the world. I loved learning about where they came from, how they view life, and their amazing success stories of immigration, as well as sharing my own experiences and beliefs. I used my evenings and days off to fall in love with fitness just like I used to be.

Together we actually became one of those runner couples. Every day after work we would go for a run (anywhere from 2-5 miles) before coming home to make dinner together. We got to experience what it felt like to be married and not have at least one of us being a full time student and getting to have our evenings together. This even helped us to get into a much better habit of couple's scripture study and even Family Home Evening with just the two of us. Those discussions and talks gave us so much strength and knowledge.

See, living in a new place, with high costs of living, having to move twice in four months in order to do it, and even me having to take a job I wasn't stoked for was maybe the hardest thing we have done together so far. And yet it was also the greatest. So here's to Seattle. The city that, even if we don't get to move back, will always have a special place in our hearts and memories.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe