2017 Goals: What I've Learned About Myself So Far

12:45:00 PM

How looking at goals differently has taught me about myself

How are we already through the first quarter of 2017? Having a baby makes time freeze and yet fly by at the same time, and now I’m sitting here wondering where the whole three months went! I can say that my new perspective on goals (see this post for my plan) has allowed me to keep them much more present in my mind, even when the days are running together. I’m really excited to see where the rest of the year goes, but I have learned a few valuable things about myself even just a quarter of the way through the process. 

Some Things I Will Always Do

I was surprised by the fact the some of the goals I set were ones I was already reaching, but didn't realize how consistent I already was. For example, the goal I set to clean up clutter every night before bed and have at least one 15 minute power clean session every day is one I have never missed. Before I started tracking it I just assumed I was missing days here or there, and maybe I still was, but the process of tracking showed me that I was doing better than I was. It was both motivating and made me feel silly as well. I’m not sure that I will continue to track it, I kinda felt like I was cheating by giving myself an easy check mark.

Some Things I Will Never Do

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I learned that sometimes I know I’m not going to do something, and I don’t even really feel that bad. Just because it works for someone else doesn’t mean it is something I need to be doing. This year it was the idea that I was going to keep a simple one sentence journal. Guys, I have tried this so many times and with so many versions and it has never stuck. Seeing it tracked out daily and seeing all the empty lines made it clear that I wasn’t going to do it because I didn’t feel bad about my result. In that moment I realized that I wasn’t motivated to do it, so why even pretend? I’ve decided that there is no use sticking with a routine or goal that I don’t care about. 

Consistency is Different than Perfection

I thought that by seeing each of my goals tracked every day like this would be really discouraging because I would see all the missed moments and think the whole year was ruined. Instead I have found it to be extremely motivating. If there is a bad day where I’m not on top of my game, I fill in that little red circle, but can already see all the blank spaces left that give me space to try again. The more days pass and circles get filled, the more the larger pattern shows its face. It's such an amazing way to see that, once again, I am doing better than I thought. I can’t judge my whole year by one bad day.  

Overall, this has been a wonderful experience. I’m planning on speaking more about how the individual goals and actions have impacted my life in the future, but I couldn’t wait to share these three insights I learned about myself. These three things have made me feel much more relaxed about goal setting in the future which actually makes me much more motivated. It makes the whole process so much more obtainable. I’m so happy and grateful that I have found a way that works for me!

What other ideas do you have? What have you learned about yourself through your goals setting process?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe