Robyn's Reads: March 2017

9:00:00 AM

Click through to see my thoughts on the books I read in March. To see more summaries and reviews click on the “Read” button at the top of the page!

I had to constantly remind myself to stay consistent with reading this month. February was easy when I was just nursing and holding a newborn that wasn’t very awake or active yet, but March came with the squirmy, wiggly baby stage, so it became more difficult to read with one hand. Luckily, towards the end of the month, Jared calmed down and I was able to finish the book I’d started. So here we go, one personal choice book for the month. I didn’t get around to the book for my book club yet, but luckily the meeting was pushed back until after Spring Break!

Click through to see my thoughts on the books I read in March. To see more summaries and reviews click on the “Read” button at the top of the page!

Still Alice by Lisa Genova


Summary: Alice Howland is proud of the life she worked so hard to build. At fifty years old, she’s a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard and a world-renowned expert in linguistics with a successful husband and three grown children. When she becomes increasingly disoriented and forgetful, a tragic diagnosis changes her life--and her relationship with her family and the world--forever.

At once beautiful and terrifying, Still Alice is a moving and vivid depiction of life with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease that is as compelling as A Beautiful Mind and as unforgettable as Judith Guest's Ordinary People. (Via Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I couldn’t put this book down. I loved how original it was, and it dealt with a topic that I am no other experience with so it was fascinating to me, and I felt like I had learned a lot, even though it was a work of fiction.

I really appreciated the pacing of the book. Each chapter corresponded to a month, but each chapter held several important scenes in the story. This allowed the story to progress quickly enough that you as the reader can see the disease disorienting her more completely through time, but it doesn’t jump so fast that it feels unnatural. That sped up but consistent pace also did a wonderful job showing how her family reacted and changed through the process as well.

It was so interesting to see how during the destruction of a mind there was creation and growth of family relationships the two phenomenon working opposite each other. It left me with a feeling that as Alice’s life was getting more and more tragic, she was going to always be on the receiving end of more and more love. That feeling helped give the book closure, you are given a scene full of sadness, love, and a view of the future, without feeling like you need to follow Alice’s life all the way to the end.

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Possible for Next Month:

The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency
Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel
The Curated Closet by Anuschka Rees

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe